10 Oct 2015

Tai Po Kau regulars

The other day I pottered around Tai Po Kau, doing the Red Walk and bits of the Blue Walk.

Huet's Fulvetta - Alcippe hueti

Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler - Pomatorhinus ruficollis

Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler - Pomatorhinus ruficollis


So far, so quiet.  After viewing the Scimitar Babbler trying to demolish the rotten tree stump, it got very quiet.

But back at the main road, at the foot of the hill, it suddenly got very busy.

Yellow-cheeked Tit - Parus spilonotus

Yellow-cheeked Tit - Parus spilonotus

Yellow-cheeked Tit - Parus spilonotus

Yellow-cheeked Tit - Parus spilonotus

Yellow-cheeked Tit - Parus spilonotus

Yellow-cheeked Tit - Parus spilonotus

Velvet-fronted Nuthatch - Sitta frontalis


Velvet-fronted Nuthatch - Sitta frontalis


Grey-throated Minivet - Pericrocrotus solaris

Blue-winged Minla - Minla cyanouroptera

"The usual suspects" are always in Tai Po Kau; - finding them is another matter !


5 comments:

  1. These may only be the usual suspects for you, but for me most of them were birds that I missed on my trips to Southeast Asia. I would love to see them. Is your Grey-throated Minivet the same bird that my field guides call Grey-chinned Minivet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They may be common but they all look very exotic John. That YC Tit is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that though the overall species and numbers of birds at TPK seems to have increased, but the quantity of birds within mixed feeding flocks seems to have decreased. Heard theories that this being signs of forest regeneration and birds being more spread out thus harder to find! I don't always find them all nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that though the overall species and numbers of birds at TPK seems to have increased, but the quantity of birds within mixed feeding flocks seems to have decreased. Heard theories that this being signs of forest regeneration and birds being more spread out thus harder to find! I don't always find them all nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss these birds too so am looking forward to my next visit to TPK, thanks for the refresher!

    ReplyDelete