23 Aug 2013

Far Eastern Curlew - Numenius madagascariensis

Prior to posting these photos, I thought I'd do a quick Google search for some textual inspiration (!!).

One of the sites I visited described this species as "The world's largest wader",  - here:

http://bird.net.au/bird/index.php?title=Eastern_Curlew

I'm none too sure, but it must be true because I read it on the internet..









Like the populations of many waders on the "East Asian - Australasian Flyway" - Far Eastern Curlew numbers are declining.  


In Hong Kong, August records are rare, normally autumn passage begins in September. 

The remains of Typhoon "Trami"  caused some strong northeasterly winds the day before these photos were taken, and over twenty migrant wader species were already present at Mai Po.


All photos taken 22nd August 2013 at Mai Po Nature Reserve, Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment